nafex - Re: [NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 39, Issue 6

  • From: Terry Bradshaw <terryb@lostmeadowvt.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 39, Issue 6
  • Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 03:28:10 -0400

I use Trickl-Eez products at work (99 acre research farm) and Dripworks at home (<1 acre planting). I'm happy with both companies, although Dripworks has a bit better customer service. For my orchard I use Rainbird pressure compensating emitter tubing with 2' spacing at 0.5 gallons per hour. I have eight roughly 80' rows in the orchard all fed from a 3/4" header line. I run the whole planting with a pressure regulator at 20 psi off of a hose bib and battery powered timer. I also have a mazzei fertilizer injector. Apart from the orchard, my garden, blueberries, and even deck planters are on the system divided into different zones. I'd recommend sticking to simple built-in pressure compensating drip tube rather than individual sprinklers, emitters, or circular runs off of a feeder line. The Rainbird tube is simple, lay it down and you're done. If you need more water down the road, just run it longer. Irrigation studies run at Cornell a few years back found that a single drip tube wet the soil profile out to the drip line in dwarf and semidwarf plantings due to capillary action in the soil. I'd recommend talking with the folks at dripworks to get set up.

Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Advice on drip irrigation

I am also using Dripworks' product. Pricey, but very convenient for the small/backyard grower. they provide excellent support. I don't use soaker hose, I use various types of emitters around the trees and shrubs.

Ginda