nafex - [NAFEX] How can we change that?

  • From: "Richard Moyer" <ramoyer@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] How can we change that?
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 09:03:54 -0500

Tom wrote, in part:
"I can list a number of our local nurseries that don't even offer fruit of any kind.  People either do not have time, or interest in growing fruit.  I find that local gardening clubs, or horticultural societies do not offer anything for those interested in fruit.  ...How can we change that?"

My reply:
Granted, I tend to view the world through rose (fruit) colored glasses, but here's some things we're trying locally to promote fruit, and additional suggestions.  None of us can do all these, but most of us could do some.  Please post additional ideas.

--Ask to speak at local gardening clubs and hort shows.  Indicate your interest/experience.  Be willing to reschedule and/or speak again, when asked.  If you are unwilling/unable, suggest another fruit lover.
--Be willing to speak for Earth Day on local fruit production, at Nature Centers/Parks on gardening (growing fruit) for wildlife thereby promoting fruit plants as gifts for friends, humans and other.
--When speaking or visiting such meetings, take local fruit in season or dried, to appeal to more senses.  Show some of your best pics, showing beauty of flower, fruit, foliage, bark, etc. for multiseason interest.  Also, donate at least one or a few plants, that do really well with minimal care.  (Some raspberry plants given to me by a NAFEXer are making inroads around town.)
--During or after your talk, ask who would like your donated plant and why, and you can get stories about relatives who grew such, and the memories attached.
---Engage the stereotypes at both extremes: To those who've 'tried fruit and failed' give a foolproof fruit (often a minor fruit that requires little space and care).  To those wanting a hort challenge, tell them you are trying something new and need others to try this plant to see if it works in your area.  Agree to compare notes.
--Offer to help train local master gardeners on fruit production, or provide names of others who could.  Invite them to yours and other places that are growing fruit; show them which fruits and techniques are low maintenance, what works and doesn't for you, etc.  Your Ag Extension agent will have one less thing to juggle.
--Promote those fruits that thrive in your area, often minor fruits, sometimes with heirloom appeal, such as gooseberries, currants, figs, quince, pawpaw, etc.  Share pics, fruit and plants.
--Promote local orchards, CSAs, Farmer's/tailgate markets, etc.  Encourage recipes to be given with fruits.
--Ask local chefs what local fruits they would like.  Supply fruits to them along with recipes.
--Invite local nursery owners/workers to your orchard (discretion advised) or take fruit to them, to demonstrate what's possible.  I have a former student who steers customers to the fruit section of a local nursery.
--Arrange or recommend tours (however informal) of yards/orchards where fruits are being grown.
--Offer story ideas to local newspaper reporters (find the right one), of you or others growing and or selling local fruits.
--Promote your favorite mail order nurseries, especially those who specialize in fruit.  Include contact info on where to find them.
--Whenever possible in the venues above, give handouts with details above, including websites such as NAFEX.
--in what ways are you promoting fruit?

Richard Moyer
Zone 6, East TN
Oats with dried Goldrush apples and Brown Turkey figs for breakfast

  • [NAFEX] How can we change that?, Richard Moyer, 03/21/2006