nafex - [NAFEX] (no subject)

  • From: mauch1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] (no subject)
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 14:59:30 -0500

Bassem,

This is what I know:

P. betulifolia will give you full sized trees.

OHxF333 will give you a dwarfed tree.  Possibly overly dwarfed/stunted.  I would make sure that
you don't let the tree fruit too soon as it will likely stop growing at that point, and keep it
well fertilized.

I personally like OHxF513 for Asian Pears (gotten through Raintree Nursery).  My trees are producing and about 12-15 feet tall.  All my Asians, where I had control of the rootstock are either on OHxF333 or OHxF513.

The only tree I have that I would consider stunted would be my tree of 'Shinko'.  I talked briefly Ike Kerschner of BYFG at our Winter meeting as he raises Asian commercially, and he said 'Shinko is dinko'.

I also talked to him about 'Korean Giant' as I had trouble with internal browning (IB) which that variety is succeptable to.  He believed that the problem with IB is related to calcium uptake/balance.  He thinks that his problem with IB may be aggravated by his trees being on P. betulifolia.  He knows other growers who have Korean Giant and they have less problem with IB and their trees are on OHxF rootstock.  In my particular case, I believe I didn't harvest the fruit soon enough.

http://www.cumminsnursery.com/asianpear.htm has some notes on the various stocks for Asian Pears.  I should note however that it appears they are only offering Asian Pears on P. betulifolia now.  I'm not sure why they have chosen to do this.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6
40° 5' N 75° 51'W
~650 ft elevation

  • [NAFEX] (no subject), mauch1, 03/21/2006