nafex - [NAFEX] Persimmon Bloom Time?

  • From: Peter Chrisbacher <pxbacher.ls@comcast.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Persimmon Bloom Time?
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 14:38:31 -0500

Can anyone give me an idea of the approximate bloom time of American Persimmon (D. virginiana)? I'm really looking for a relative bloom time, e.g. "one week after Bradford Pear" ;-) There's what seems to be an isolated row of persimmon with very good fruit nearby and I would like to see them in bloom this year to see if they're all females or not (they seem to be), and maybe even locate male flowers on the females.

All the trees in the row produce approximately the same size/shape/color/flavor fruit, and they usually have no more than 4 seeds each.

Here's a photo of one of the fruits in case you're interested
http://home.comcast.net/~pxbacher/pix/Persimmon.jpg

I've got 10 or 12 seedlings in pots from this/these trees and will get a couple of them in the ground this spring (when my wife isn't looking ;-).

Thanks!

Pete Chrisbacher
SE PA - Zone 6B