nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Sea Buckthorn

  • From: "hector black" <hblack1925@fastmail.fm>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sea Buckthorn
  • Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 18:51:12 -0600

Sea buckthorn is quite an attractive plant, if you have the right variety for your climate.  Grey foliage that is covered with yellow to orange berries in the late summer.  The Dutch have introduced a couple just as ornamentals.
    There was a symposium in Russia that had an almost equal number of Chinese researchers presenting papers.  might be 10-15 years ago.  Evidently from these papers, the juice is widely used in China as we use orange juice here.  Excellent source of vit C.

    There seem to be many trains - perhaps other species - in China as well as Russia.  Russia sells the oil made from fruit and seeds.  It is used to heal radiation burns (other burns?) and is quite expensive.
    The fruit tastes similar to other Elaeagnus sps.  tart, I don't remember astringency but it is possible there is some which disappears with preparation of juice or jelly.  I expect the fruit is loaded with anti-oxidants like the other Elaeagnus.  And it fixes nitrogen like all the others.  I have never heard that it was invasive from any grower in Russia, but it does travel via stolons.
    Japanese beetles love the foliage, and there is some fungus damage in very humid climates like ours - perhaps a combination of heat and humidity because seacosts are humid and it grows well in sand in England along the coasts - hence the name.  Hippophae, by the way, refers to the feeding of the foliage to horses to make their coats glossy.
    Analyses of foliage of other Elaeagnus species shows a considerably higher nitrogen content than other forages like hay.  I suspect sea buckthorn would do the same.  I also suspect that there is a connection between the nitrogen fixing and protein available in the fruit and foliage.
    hector black, zone 6 middle tn.