nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Inducing hardening-off

  • From: "Dr. Chiranjit Parmar" <parmarch@sancharnet.in>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Inducing hardening-off
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 22:24:40 +0530

I am doubtful.  Ethrel does create leaf or even fruit drop.  But its action is different.  The leaf fall at the end of season is caused by the induction of dormancy and different growth regulators within the plants are responsible for it.  Here the plant starts entering dormancy when it is not affected by cold.  Ethrel will only cause leaf drop and no dormancy will be induced.

Certain growth regulators have been found to promote dormancy in plants.  Treatment with such chemicals might help.  I am out of touch with this part of subject since long but I have worked on growth regulators during my Ph.D. and then for some years while in university service.  So I have some basic knowledge.

Let some active researcher through light on it.

Very truly yours,

Dr.Chiranjit Parmar
Horticultural Consultant of Lesser Known Indian Fruits
www.lesserknownindianplants.com