nafex - [NAFEX] SSE orchard list etc

  • From: BRosholdt <rosholdt@erols.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] SSE orchard list etc
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 20:20:37 -0500

Jonathan,

I (as an SSE member) was out at the orchard during the SSE campout convention in 98? and spent about 8 hours roaming around the orchard, just looking at varieties.  They had a computer print out list (greenbar - shudder) they were kind enough to let me look at so I could make assessments.  It was terribly fun - and tiring.  I suggest you go there and do the same.  It is a bit overwhelming, and some trees do die and new varieties come in sometimes, so the notes I made may not be any good any more.  I did learn a LOT about varieties of apples and their foliage habits and fruit appearance (it was July - a little early for northern Iowa tasting).

The orchard is a preservation orchard, and any requests to snip a bit in the interest of preservation would probably get SSE approval, but definitely ask first.

Happy grafting,

Barbara Rosholdt
Z6-7 Piedmont Virginia
On Thu Feb 16 15:37 , 'Dyer, Jonathan A.' <dyerja@health.missouri.edu> sent:

Does anyone have a list of the cultivars held by the Seed savers exchange heirloom orchard? I'm a member but haven't been able to get a list of the ~700 or so varieties they offer.
>Thanks,

>Jon Dyer

  • [NAFEX] SSE orchard list etc, BRosholdt, 02/20/2006