nafex - Re: [NAFEX] apple variety hardiness in zone 3

  • From: Bernie Nikolai <BNikolai@shaw.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] apple variety hardiness in zone 3
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 00:52:14 -0700

Derry, I'd guess the chances of a Japanese Golden Delicious cross named Orin surviving on its own trunk in Edmonton are almost as good as me winning the 649 Lottery :)) Back 10-15 years ago I ordered many varieties from the BC Certified Budwood Association in the Okanagan in Summerland, and topworked them (about 75 different varieties) onto hardy stembuilders. The bottom line is many survived a few years as topworked branches, and even fruited for a couple of years. Then we got the inevitable "test winter" of several days in the low -30F to -40F, and all these varieties simply died, even when topworked. The only variety of the 75 that is still going is Wealthy. I had high hopes for Discovery, Jersymac, Summerred, Summerland Red Mac, Northern Spy, and many others. If they won't make it on hardy stembuilders (I used September Ruby, Norland, Battleford, Parkland, Heyer 12), they for sure won't make it on their own trunks. I don't mean to sound cynical, its just after many years of testing, I'm convinced the vast majority of apples simply won't survive in Edmonton. I'd say well over 98% of all apples mentioned on this list won't make it in my climate. They just can't survive after day after day of -35F to -40F. They will for a short time, perhaps one bad night, but not for several days in a row as we can get here.

I don't have a list of what will grow on its own trunk here, but in terms of the very best of the best apples in terms of fresh taste, I'd say there were only 3 commercially available in nurseries. Goodland, which is very tender in zone 3, but does struggle through with damage some years, Norkent, and Prairie Magic. Plus several of the outstanding test varieties from the U of Saskatchewan that aren't released yet. My favorite is Saskatchwan 18-10-32, rock solid hardy at -43C with no tip damage, with large firm apples that taste better to me than supermarket apples. I think it will be released this year as "Saskatchwan Sweet Sunsation", so be sure to look for it. It stores well, and is outstanding in fresh taste (tart/sweet complex ), and makes tremendous pies. It also seems to be a heavy, consistant producer. The only downside is the apples can be almost "too large" for some folks, but I don't find this a problem personally. Its a bright yellow apple with a beautiful red blush on the sunny side.
Bernie

----- Original Message ----- From: "derry and bill" <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>