nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Mazzard (cherry) r/s hardiness

  • From: Bernie Nikolai <BNikolai@shaw.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Mazzard (cherry) r/s hardiness
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 16:40:34 -0700

As long as we get snow, Mazzard and Maheleb are both hardy in Edmonton, zone 3. But the sweet cherries grafted onto them die, just too cold here. But there is even a far hardier sweet cherry rootstock that almost nobody knows about, is fully compatible with sweet cherries, and is fully hardy in Edmonton and across the Canadian prairies, both above and below the snow.

Its the Amur Cherry, Prunus Maakii, the one with the dark berries birds love and the gorgeous copper coloured bark. If you graft sweet cherry onto this rootstock when the Amur Cherry is just at green tip, it takes well with whip and tongue grafts, but doesn't seem to take at any other time. I have seen several heavily laden sweet cherry trees with Van on them in Anchorage, Alaska, right by the ocean where the minimum winter temperatures didn't drop below -15F, so the top part, the sweet cherry part, survived and produced well.

I don't know why more folks don't use this rootstock for sweet cherries in cold climates. You can grow millions of seedling rootstock very easily just by planting the seeds. I suppose the answer is if you are in a cold enough climate where Amur Cherry needed for a rootstock, you probably will have the top of the sweet cherry die due to cold. It seems to me -25F is about the coldest the hardiest sweet cherries can take (Van, Hedelfigen, Gold, etc.)
Bernie Nikolai
Edmonton, Alberta
(no snow, best winter EVER, but a cold front just roared through, and it was -26C driving into work this morning, going to about -30C tonight)

----- Original Message ----- From: "derry and bill" <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>