nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Moral and Legal Patent Quandries

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@mwt.net>
  • To: <breen@fedcoseeds.com>, "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Moral and Legal Patent Quandries
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 04:25:35 -0600

Heron,

After reading the answers others gave to your patent enforcement question, I
developed small qualms about avoidance of royalty payments to some of the
public breeding programs. I do want to see land grant institutions continue
their breeding programs. I quickly squelched those pang of conscience,
however. The patenting process has led, in many cases, to massive private
enrichment (both corporate and academic) at the expense of the public
pocketbook and it is part of a system that has resulted in an impoverishment
of agricultural diversity rather than the reverse. Seems to me that the
problem of funding such worthwhile horticultural endeavors is to provide
adequate funds for institutions doing the work. If political forces whose
ideological bent to privatize the entire public realm refuse to pony up the
dough, then the answer is to vote 'em out of office, rather than to depend
on the 'incentive' of patent protection. Defunding of scientific research
is bundled with a bunch of other political positions: Opinions on any given
political issue are not randomly distributed, but rather come in 'packets'.

Plant patenting is part of an agricultural model that leads to less
diversity, not more. It seems to be the antithesis of one of the principal
goals of NAFEX: the protection of plant diversity. Heron, the plant and
animal patent system and the Seed Savers Exchange represent two
fundamentally opposing world views, with the SSE existing merely to support
horticultural hobbyists under current circumstances. If you ever want SSE
and the sort of agriculture that goes along with its model to be more than
'dilettantism, buddy, you gotta risk the potential creation of a
'Honeycrisp' every once in a while.

A computer analogy might be Wikipedia or 'Linux', though Bill Gates is
pretty cool, and even admirable as robber barons go. (Perhaps 'trust' as in
Standard Oil Trust, is fairer, and more on the money.) But Microsoft is not
the only way.

Steve H., Lone Rock, WI