nafex - [NAFEX] Moral and Legal Patent Quandries

  • From: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Moral and Legal Patent Quandries
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 22:17:48 -0600

To Everyone reading,
I have been mulling over a few moral questions about patent violations
recently,
but not the ones you'd think. Not a personal urge to propagate a plant on the
sly,
or deep thoughts about the ethics of patent laws themselves in the greater
metaphysical sense. In a real life scenario sense, I guess.
What does one do when one knows someone or a business that is knowingly
(does that
matter?) violating a plant patent via propagation and sales? Do "we" have an
obligation to play the role of police upon others if we know they are putting
one
over? Many of us have friends, family, that may do something moderately
(sometimes
worse) illicit, and most of us live and let live...Do any of you feel
strongly one
way or the other about personally applying the plant patent laws? If not, why
not?
If so, any suggestions as to how to approach the problem?
This may seem mundane, but in the "business" of plants, there are often
gray, if
not shady, areas. One I have wondered about was the topworking of existing
fruit
trees with a patented variety, with intention to sell the resulting fruit
commercially. This is happening at a slow but steady pace in existing
orchards all
over the Northeast (and probably elsewhere). Any thoughts?
Here's a fictional example of another quandry: a wholesale nursery stock
grower
who sells to various retail outlets is propagating maybe both ornamental and
fruit
patented plants without permission. This grower is then selling these to
retail
outlets, but with the retail outlets' full knowledge. Maybe these retail
outlets
are also supplying the wholesale grower with patented propagation material so
the
wholesaler can grow their requested cultivars in specific amounts. Neither
wholesaler or retailed in paying royalties. The retailers may also be hiding
these
illegal sales within sales of plants of the same cultivars that they bought
and
sold legitimately. You know the involvement of both parties. Maybe you even
know
personally some of the parties involved. Would you do anything about it?
Maybe you know other situations that seem vague or gray or shady concerning
patent
laws. I'd like to hear what others have been wondering about, too.
A full spectrum of opinions welcome!
Heron Breen
zone 4, Maine