nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pie Maker Apple

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@mwt.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pie Maker Apple
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 07:20:22 -0600

In the Midwest my best guess for the "Pie Maker" would be the Wolf River.
It has huge apples and I've heard it called the 'pie apple' because, as the
ads say, one apple makes a pie. Ask them if the apple is real big. If not
ask them if it's a greenish yellow late season apple, then I'd suggest a NW
greening, also a favorite for pies around here. The other couple
suggestions that list folks made seem pretty unlikely for the upper Midwest.
An apple less likely to bear the name, but still excellent for pies is the
Wealthy

Sincerely,

Steve Herje
Lone Rock, WI