nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Partridgeberry

  • From: "George Brinson" <george.brinson@nf.sympatico.ca>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Partridgeberry
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 16:21:09 -0330

As I am am from Newfoundland, I will attempt to describe some of the berries/plants being discussed, and common to Newfoundland and actually across the northern regions of Canada and Alaska, and down through the Appalachian region of the US.

The "BAKEAPPLE" or Cloudberry of Europe is Rubus chamaemorus. Rubus being "red" of the raspberry family and chamaemorus meaning ground mulberry

The "PARTRIDGEBERRY" or Mountain Cranberry or Foxberry in North America and Lingonberry in Europe is Vaccinium vitis-idaea. Vaccinium is an ancient name believed to be derived of the latin vaccinus, of cows. Vitis-idaea means grape of Mt. Ida.

There are two species of "snowberries or wintergreen" flavored berries in Newfoundland.
The first is "CREEPING SNOWBERRY" which is Gaultheria hispidula an edible wintergreen flavored, snow white, many seeded berry.
The second is "WINTERGREEN" which is Gaultheria procumbens. The berries are Red and spice flavored.

In Newfoundland there are two "cranberries".......COMMON (wild) of commerce > Vaccinium macrocarpon and the "Small Cranberry" or "Marshberry".....Vaccinium oxycoccus.

All of the above are found in acidic soil conditions, especially the vaccinium which only thrive in peatlands, the home of heather and heaths, especially in Scotland and Ireland and through Scandanavia, where over time these berries have been developed commercially. There, my two cents worth!!!

George Brinson
Carmanville
Newfoundland
Canada