nafex - Re: [NAFEX] best conditions for storing dormant scions?

  • From: "Hal Love" <lovehd@comcast.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] best conditions for storing dormant scions?
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 09:55:58 -0600

> Leave scionwood on the tree unless a thaw (more than one day over 40
degrees F.) or
> a sudden deep freeze is forecast.

This is very dependant on your climate. Our average high temp for January is
45 degrees F., but this year is really crazy. I think we have had one day so
far in January in which the high temperature did not exceed 40 degrees F.,
and we have had many days in the 60's and 70's. We probably had 20 days in
December that were colder than any day so far in January. Irises and
daffodils are up and some fruit trees in the area are blooming! This weird
weather seems to be getting crazier every year. Maybe I should take some
cuttings now that I was planning to take next month, before a big cold blast
comes in.

Hal
zn 6b