nafex - [NAFEX] hardy fig varieties

  • From: mauch1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] hardy fig varieties
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 09:44:55 -0500

I'll vouch for Chicago Hardy.  It produces for my parents planted in the ground by a small
ornamental pond.  Most years, dies to the ground, but comes back and produces a crop of figs.
Some years the figs have not ripened, but now that we know about oiling, we're more likely to
get a crop.  I also have one in a pot, and though it does produce figs, the crop is much
smaller.

I also have what was purchased as Petite Negri (but is more likely Negronne).  I've had it in a pot
for years, but it never produces a fig.  This Spring I'm planting it out along with the Chicago Hardy.

Though Chicago Hardy is good, I'd like a larger fig that produced on new wood (for those years
when it gets killed back to the roots).

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6
40° 5' N 75° 51'W