nafex - Re: [NAFEX] storing scionwood

  • From: "Dave Griffin" <griffingardens@earthlink.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] storing scionwood
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 16:59:31 -0600

I've sent this before but here is what works for me in zone 4a: Take scions
in the end of December or just before the -20F lows arrive that damage wood
and buds. Dip 1/4" of the ends in melted candle wax with a little mineral
oil in it for pliability so it doesn't flake off. Then a 10 second quick
dip with swishing around agitation for thorough wetting in a 5-10% bleach
solution. Lots of rinsing in lots of cold water. Pat dry and spray with a
1:5 or so solution of Wilt-Pruf. Let dry on parallel sticks for air
circulation (like on railroad tracks) in a cold room overnight or until dry
to the touch. Store in sterilized bagel bags (tough and the right size)
without moisture that are wrapped tightly with the Saran-Wrap like material
that the builder's center uses to tie up your moldings and plastic pipe at
the check-out counter. They sell this too in a package that looks like a
WWII German potato masher grenade. This allows you to wrap the package
tightly so excess air is removed from the package. Adding moisture of any
kind just invites rot to form in long term storage and is not necessary.
Store in a regular refrigerator away from contact with the walls if you
have a self-defroster, and these days you probably do. Keep water in a 6"
shallow pan and re-fill when necessary. Wood stays dead dormant through
June, even sweet cherries, so I can use it for bench grafting in March and
then again for spring budding in June. I have an unproven theory that the
fact that the wood has not yet reached its chill hour requirement helps
keep it dormant so long. I cannot hold sweet cherry wood taken in March for
more than a month without the buds starting to push..

Dave
Central MN

used to change other email options):