nafex - Re: [NAFEX] storing scionwood

  • From: bassem@gardener.com
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] storing scionwood
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 16:19:33 -0800 (PST)

Figs cuttings are known to start molding or dry up, even if kept in the
fridge... What I do for storing Fig cuttings, here in the northeast. I take
the cuttings right before I wrap them. usually november or late october.. I
dip the whole cutting in 10% chlorine 90% water solution... Then wrap them
and place them in a plastic bag.. and keep them in the fridge.. usually
around 40 deg. in late winter... I can start rooting them... and I get at
least 90 % success rate.
I Imagine same solution would work for other scion wood. it keeps them from
molding.

Bass Samaan
zone 6, PA