nafex - [NAFEX] elderberry cultivars?

  • From: Mark River <mark@markriver.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [NAFEX] elderberry cultivars?
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 17:13:52 -0700

Hello, I'm thinking of planting some elderberry plants this spring, and was looking for some advice on specific cultivars.  I'm in zone 5a and am looking to use the berries primarily for wine.  Lewis Hill's book "Fruits and Berries for the Home Garden" recommends York & Nova, does anyone have experience with these cultivars or recommend any additional cultivars?  Also, does anyone have any rules of thumb as far as how many pounds of fruit one plant yields, and how many pounds of elderberries are required to make one gallon of wine?

Thanks,
Mark River
Manning, Iowa
Zone 5a