nafex - Re: [NAFEX] danube cherry

  • From: darrgris@unr.nevada.edu
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] danube cherry
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 11:46:11 -0800

The short version: I love Danube for cooking, but for fresh eating, I would
still go with a true sweet cherry. The tree seems to like my climate and
local
conditions. It produced while still young.

The long version: The Danube cherry is raised in Hungary under the name Erdi
Botermo, and under that name I have read some experiment literature on it in
the U.S. Mine is entering its third year. It seems happy enough as a lawn
tree and produced enough fruit last year to make two delicious pies. The
juice
is red. The fruit is more tart than sweet to my tastebuds, but is more
palatable than fresh Montmorency and North star. I ate a raw chokecherry
once;
good name for it.
Did I mention that the Danube cherry pies were delicious?
So far at its tender age, I have seen no disease. Growth was moderately
vigorous on the Gisela 5 rootstock that Raintree nursery grafted on. Mine
spreads rather than shooting upwards (and I encourage that habit). The dark,
glossy leaves are attractive in my yard, too.
Good luck,
Darren G
Sparks, NV, USDA zone 6, short growing season, dry climate, harsh summer sun.