nafex - [NAFEX] danube cherry

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas@tbeckett.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] danube cherry
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 22:16:07 -0500

I'm looking for a sour cherry tree for the backyard. Paging through the Jung's nursery catalogue, I saw a "Danube cherry" from Hungary that was described as a sour cherry with very sweet fruit and red juice.

I tried searching the NAFEX archives for prior discussions, with mixed success, found nothing recent.

Does anyone here have experience with the Danube cherry, growing and/or eating? If reviews are positive, I'll give it a try. Otherwise, I'm playing it "safe" and ordering Montmorency.

Thanks!

Thomas
Hendersonville, NC
Zone 7-ish