nafex - [NAFEX] Red skinned or red fleshed

  • From: Ray Kaminski <rjkaminski@charter.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Red skinned or red fleshed
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 14:35:30 -0600

Presently have 41 different pear varieties on my list and never had fire blight or anything other than plum curcillo and stink bug damage. Now have 39 varieties as Ubllieen and Conference (as of fall )are now ashes feeding other trees. Every year when it was dry and warm about half the leaves of these two would turn brown but it was not fire blight. They would fall off prematurely and had not produced any fruit. They would look good in the spring (no blossoms) till about very late July and then start to get brown patches and slowly spread over the whole leaf. I took some over to the State Experiment Station and they advised me to get them out as apparently are not suited for this area. They determined it was not fire blight. I have no water system in the orchard and this is a hobby orchard, my play ground so to speak. Now I want to decorate it a little with red pears. Ray
North East Wisc near Lake Michigan Zone 4-5