nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Red skinned or red fleshed

  • From: "David Doud" <doudone@netusa1.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Red skinned or red fleshed
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 17:09:53 -0500

I have 'Cascade' and 'Rogue Red' - I have had Red Bartlett -
Both varieties have grown healthily, Cascade being a 'finer' tree, but
the summer foliage is standard green - and the fruit run smaller with a
variable red blush over a generally yellow fruit -
Rogue Red is a coarser tree, very upright and has dark green/red
foliage that contrasts with all the other varieties I grow - the fruit is
large and solid deep red color -
Rogue is the later variety and keeps very well - eating quality on
either is 'acceptable/good', with the caveot that I have not figured out
the 'nuances' of harvest and ripening - either will hang pretty well into
October, and I'm generally picking a lot of them in mid-september because
that's when the market is - optimum harvest date? - best guess is ~sept 25
for cascade and maybe a few days later for Rogue -
Crops on both have been compromised by various weather events over the
past several seasons, and Rogue has been more productive under the various
adverse situations - trees are 10 years old and are still in the process of
'settling down' -
Both varieties have survived fireblight that devastated Bosc and Rescue
in the area - - they had a one row buffer of a USDA pear between them and
the rows on Bosc and Rescue (which have been removed due to blight) - - but
this is not conclusive evidence of tolerance and fireblight is notoriously
unpredictable -

David Doud zone 5z, north central Indiana