nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pawpaw "mango"

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pawpaw "mango"
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 10:07:46 -0600

At 09:30 AM 1/2/2006, Lester Davis wrote:
    Mango should do very well in your area.  The late Major C. Collins grew Mango
from seed stock from Penn.  I have a grafted Mango that has medium size fruit.

Interesting, Lester!
I'd seen all the catalog descriptions indicating that Mango originated in Tifton, GA - and I always assumed it was a locally-originated plant.
The PA Golden series have, if I recall correctly, consistently placed well in taste comparisons at the KYSU pawpaw plantings at the KYSU farm in Frankfort, KY.

Chris, much like you, I've gotten to the point that I notice the 'aftertaste' more and more, as well.  Still like to eat a pawpaw now and then, but I'm not 'ga-ga' over them anymore.

Lucky