nafex - [NAFEX] John Laird Farrar

  • From: John Barbowski <jbarbowski@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] John Laird Farrar
  • Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 13:10:42 -0500

It is truly amazing how life has its twists and turns. Dr Farrar, (John Laird Farrar), was my Prof in Forest Ecology at the Univ of Toronto in 6T4. He was a perfectionist in many ways. It is not surprising that his book has become one of 'the' criticly acclaimed reference books on forest trees in N Amer.

As a student, I didn't really appreciate some of his dead-pan ways. In retrospect, they were designed to get his students to think and analyze. He was very well respected by his peers.

But my fondest memory of him was as my opponent in a bridge game on a bus field-trip to the southern pine region in N Car. It's not too often that students get to socialize with their profs, let alone play bridge. The cards were coming and I could do no wrong.  I don't think I've played since that day.

jb

  • [NAFEX] John Laird Farrar, John Barbowski, 12/28/2005