nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Growing Blackberries in the North

  • From: "Dennis Norton" <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Growing Blackberries in the North
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 13:24:51 -0600

Jim,

We have some blackberries that just wont seem to die here in Zone 4/5 of northern Illinois. They have been plowed under at leat 4 times, raspberries planted in their place, and they still came back and overtook the raspberries. They are from Indiana Berry and the varieties are:

Chester--1985 Maryland (Thornfree x Darrow)--Chester is the most winter hardy of the thornless varieties. It is a late season berry with large fruit and mild flavor. Chester is most resistant to caneblight caused by Botryosphaeria dothidea. The fruit is of high quality, does not soften or leak color on hot sunny days.

Arapaho--(Plant Patented #8510)--Arapaho fruit is short-conic, bright glossy black and firm. Soluble solids concentration are high but slightly lower than that of Navaho. An important positive characteristic is its small seed size. Seeds are significantly smaller than those of Navaho and Shawnee, but slightly larger than those of Choctaw. It ripens 11 days earlier than Navaho and 2 days before Shawnee, and it is the earliest ripening thornless blackberry cultivar known to date. The fruiting period of Arapaho is concentrated into less than 4 weeks. The plants are moderately vigorous and erect in growth habit. They have good resistance to cold injury at temperatures as low as -24C. No disease problems have been noted following a fungicide program consisting of one application of liquid lime-sulfur at budbreak. No orange rust has been observed when grown in areas of high inoculum. This berry is more prolific in producing primocanes from roots than the Navaho. The outstanding characteristics are thornless, erect, self-supporting canes, good fruit quality, earliness of ripening, and its ability to establish a full fruiting row quickly. This variety will compliment Navaho in providing a long harvest season for quality, thornless blackberries.

We plowed them under when we had a bad case of rust. We destroyed all the plants above ground prior to plowing and then gathered up all the remainder after plowing under the roots. 2 years later, there they were again, sprouting between the raspberries we planted in their place. Now they have overtaken the raspberries and the customers pick them right along with the raspberries!

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@uslink.net>