nafex - Re: [NAFEX] American persimmon on D. lotus rootstock

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] American persimmon on D. lotus rootstock
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 10:33:33 EST

In a message dated 12/13/2005 6:00:41 AM US Eastern Standard Time, parmarch@sancharnet.in writes:

Let me put my two cents.  In fact, I tried to join this topic when it was
started.  But my mails did not reach the list due to some problem.

D. lotus is called AMLOOK here in my part of India.  It being used as a
rootstock for D. kaki for the past 6-7 decades and does very well.

I have some pictures of D. lotus fruits and can e-mail if anyone is
interested.

Very truly yours,

Dr. Chiranjit Parma

Dear Dr. Parmar,

Yes, please send pictures as an attachment to the list. Those of us that want to see them can download and those that don't won't.

One thing I want to see is how high off the ground the grafts are placed. What are the lowest winter temps where this is being done? Lotus is also used in the US but in zones higher than zone 5. I believe primarily in zones 8 and higher. Those of you more knowledgeable about this please jump in here. I particularly, need more education on lotus as a possible understock for virginiana.

Jerry Lehman