nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Elderberry Recipes

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Elderberry Recipes
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 13:35:19 -0800

For four generous servings of a berry sauce for game:

2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons malt or sherry vinegar
1 1/2 cup frozen wild blueberries (substitute other fruits freely)
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup chicken broth or game, lamb, or veal stock
2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in
1 tablespoon port, sherry, or chicken broth

Combine the sugar and vinegar in a saucepan over low heat, and stir while
the sugar dissolves. Add the berries, wine, and broth, and simmer for 10-12
minutes. Add the cornstarch slurry and bring to a boil to thicken.

I just served this over venison steaks on a bed of almond-pomegranate pilaf.
I was very happy with how it turned out. It should be fine with an
elderberry/blueberry blend. Elderberry alone might be too strong.

Stephen