nafex - Re: [NAFEX] American persimmon on D. lotus rootstock & KSD

  • From: "yarry lo" <yarrylo@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] American persimmon on D. lotus rootstock & KSD
  • Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 21:01:36 +0000

Jerry,

Apologies for the lack of clarity in my previous post. My question refers to D. lotus as a rootstock for D. virginiana, not for D. kaki. Also my term "persimmon wilt" refers not to KSD but to the fungal disease caused by Cephalosporium diospoyri, which had wiped out many of the native stands of persimmon in the southern states in the middle of the last century.
I have heard of one method of cloning D. virginiana rootstock which involves cutting one year old seedllings to the ground and then covering several inches at the base of the resulting sprouts with sawdust , which presumably would serve as medium for new roots. Once these rooted they could be cut from the main plant and serve as rootstocks. My attempts at this method have so far failed to produce any roots on the sprouts.

Alan