nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pears' fall colors

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pears' fall colors
  • Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 18:53:13 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

This fall was especially good for fall color here in Eastern NC.

Pear cultivars with especially brilliant fall color were Ya Li, Spalding and
P3 (an inbred descendant of Kieffer). The latter two cultivars are pretty
dependably colorful. Colors ranged from crimson to orange and golden.

Apples never have as spectacular fall color and the best I've seen is still
only yellow- no other colors. This year the Liberty and Enterprise looked
OK, but the ones that really had nice yellow fall color were Detroit Red and
Pettengill. Many of the other cultivars are still green.

Anton
Zone 8 where the Fuyu's were just picked (Possum already got about a third of
the crop).