nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Exploring kaki hardiness, climate, and nuts

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Exploring kaki hardiness, climate, and nuts
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 07:05:58 EST

In a message dated 11/27/2005 10:25:49 AM US Eastern Standard Time, rosholdt@erols.com writes:

That Hana Fuyu sounds like a possibility - for us.
I have the Ichi Kei Ki Jeiro and it has suffered little or no damage
from anything - including the scourge of Japanese Beetles.  It is not
bearing yet, only about 2 years in the ground.   I don't spray the
Asiminas and Diosporos with anything.  I do weed and fertilize.

I have a question.  I bought a Meader and it was producing seedless
fruit.  Then the male bloomed and now the fruit has seeds.  If I took
the male out would the Meader and Ichi care?  I means in terms of
production.  Seedless is nice for making pulp.

Hi Barb,

Now that you mention it, Ichi, that was one of the varieties first grafted along side of the house. It has been written that generally, astringent cultivars are more winter hardy than AN.

Yes, take out the male and you will return to seedless fruit. Meader is only seedless in absence of pollen. In all likelihood Ichi will continue to bear fruit w/o the American male.

Jerry