nafex - [NAFEX] Exploring kaki hardiness, climate, and nuts

  • From: BRosholdt <rosholdt@erols.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Exploring kaki hardiness, climate, and nuts
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 10:33:44 -0500

Note that extreme cold is not the only determining factor when the microclimate is subject to a week of 20 deg. with no snow cover, then a week of 55-65 deg. weather in January! You in zone 4-6a can usually count on cold weather remaining cold and usually some snow cover. But where fluctuations occur, it can be very destructive to the trees and fruit. (The good news is it is hard on ticks and fleas too.) A rule of thumb is that late bloomers do best here in 6c-7a central Virginia. Even cold weather protection is dangerous. Example: We have to protect enough to keep the 15-18 degree temp. winds off the figs, but not enough so that the figs break dormancy in late February. Can't take the protection off until the end of March - and it is risky then. Maybe I'll take it off in stages this year.

I agree with the premise that if you can get seeds from local tree fruit (or from one zone south), raise them and see what they do! That is how many of the old fashioned varieties were created. Our climate is changing, and sometimes extremes and changes can encourage genetics to vary a bit more widely - this can help if you are looking for "trees that can survive on the edge". Years ago I read somewhere that there was evidence that most new species arrived in short periods of time - during times of stressful climactic changes. If new species can start, certainly new varieties could be expected under artificial stressors (moving seeds from their zone, etc). I foresee more extreme weather on the way as more and more trees are cut down on our continent and more desert areas are created. My response is to raise as much fruit as possible (on trees). but I digress...

Back to persimmons. That Hana Fuyu sounds like a possibility - for us. I have the Ichi Kei Ki Jeiro and it has suffered little or no damage from anything - including the scourge of Japanese Beetles. It is not bearing yet, only about 2 years in the ground. I don't spray the Asiminas and Diosporos with anything. I do weed and fertilize.

I have a question. I bought a Meader and it was producing seedless fruit. Then the male bloomed and now the fruit has seeds. If I took the male out would the Meader and Ichi care? I means in terms of production. Seedless is nice for making pulp.

I am interested in nuts, but really am not ready for planting 60 foot (when mature) trees. I'd have to take out 60 foot trees to do it! Any suggestions for 20-30 foot nut trees for my zone?

Finally, I'm shy about trying the local hickories and other nuts. Can someone recommend a reference book or three about dealing with local wild foods that can REALLY help me identify them and experiment with them? I have the standard "Eastern Forests" and Field Guides, but nothing is really there about how to "eat 'em". I am concerned enough about tannins I am afraid to try the acorns.

Barbara Rosholdt
3Domes Farm
6c/7a
540-720-0390