nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Exploring the limits of kaki persimmon cold-hardiness (long)

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Exploring the limits of kaki persimmon cold-hardiness (long)
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 15:05:05 -0800

Some years ago I asked someone who was going to Korea to see if they could get seed from the most northern persimmons there. What I got turned out to be Diospyros lotus, which is usually used as a rootstock for D. Kaki. From what I found, it is used for fruit there (in Korea). None of the seedlings has started to bear as yet, though. If they ever do, I'll offer seed to try as hardy rootstocks to help in marginal Kaki areas.
-Lon Rombough