nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Exploring the limits of kaki persimmon cold-hardiness (long)

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Exploring the limits of kaki persimmon cold-hardiness (long)
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 14:52:54 -0600

At 08:58 PM 11/26/2005, Richard wrote:
Jerry signed off: "Where kaki can't be grown. :-("
Jerry, I'm still hopeful for you, as below.
We've heard on this list of folks fruiting Hana Fuyu in PA.

Other varieties, as well - including Sheng(see excerpted POMONA article below) and Great Wall.

Gordon Nofs sent me this snippet from Don Jackson's POMONA article(I thought I had the issue - sometime in '96? - but can't lay my hands on it at the moment), and if memory serves correctly, he also mentioned having grown & fruited Great Wall there.

SHENG PERSIMMON: A SURVIVOR
Donald Lee Jackson Sr.  9006 Camp Roar  Red Lion, Pa 17356-9432

Sheng Oriental persimmons will grow in south central Pa but, when we have a
-20 degree spell, the severe cold will do them in. However, if you have a
sizable tree that freezes back, due to severe cold as mentioned above, do
not cut the stump off. I consider myself in zone 6 with an average low
temperature of -10 to -0 degrees F. The (2) twenty-year old Sheng trees were
producing 600+ 5oz persimmons per tree before the 1992/1993 hard freeze.
Since the freeze, the stumps of these trees have profusely grown many shoots
above the grafts. The trees have not begun to produce yet, but I expect a
crop in 1996 because two other varieties of my orientals that froze back
produced more than 20 fruits this year (1995).

Several additional reasons for hope for Jerry (and me):
Clifford England has killed many kakis cultivars at their nursery in the mountains of eastern Kentucky, including most all of what are commonly sold .  They are selling two that work: Shin Na Da and Hokkaido, that are multiyear survivors and bearers under their conditions.  See www.nut trees.net
I've got Hokkaido started, as well as a couple of as-yet-unnamed 'Korean' selections that Cliff has made - no fruit on any of them yet.
Got my first fruits on Great Wall this year - after having several kaki selections freeze out in their first winter after grafting, GW, which was high-worked about 6-6.5 ft up in a vigorous shoot (I'd bush-hogged over a nice 3" persimmon seedling a couple of years earlier) was the only survivor of that year's efforts.
It has grown an additional 6-7 ft in the intervening 3 -4 years, and set a number of fruits, the majority of which dropped off in midsummer, but it has matured two - ate one this morning - pretty tasty; even my wife liked it.

Lucky