nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Paw Paw species propagation

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Paw Paw species propagation
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 09:56:17 EST

In a message dated 11/9/2005 5:44:08 PM US Eastern Standard Time, bassem@gardener.com writes:

I have a sugar apple "annona squamosa", I grow it in a container... It fruits well for me with artificial pollination. I need to try crossing it with pawpaw. If I tried getting pollen from the pawpaw flower and applied it to the stigma of the A. squamosa, Would that be the common way? Is that usually done at a sterile environment?
The flowers are much different. I always wondered if any one tried it. The Annona might flower at different time than the pawpaw... In my greenhouse it blooms early april... but may continue blooming until july... so I need to test it next spring.

Collecting pawpaw pollen in a sterile atmosphere isn't necessary, or even advantageous to my knowledge. In nature insects carry the pollen. I hand pollinate pawpaw all the time and don't even wash my hands or the tools. I might have frozen pawpaw pollen. Can send fresh pollen late May.

Jerry