nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Shade and Ornamental Groups?

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: breen@fedcoseeds.com, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Shade and Ornamental Groups?
  • Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 16:13:40 -0600

At 02:14 PM 11/9/2005, you wrote:
Hi again,
Could anyone suggest an organization or on-line group that is similar to NAFEX
but focuses on shade trees, shrubs, and woody ornamentals? I find plenty of
specific groups, like for lilacs, and other gardener groups, but I am looking for
something more like amateur nursery folks trading cuttings and seeds.

Closest things I can think of offhand are:
Northern Nut Growers Association(and it's constituent state & regional associations)
http://www.northernnutgrowers.org
and
International Oak Society
http://www.saintmarys.edu/~rjensen/ios.html
Certainly, many of the tree species(oaks, pecans, hickories, walnuts, persimmons, pawpaws, pines) would fit into the category of shade trees - and some fit the ornamental bill, as well! Both NNGA and IOS offer seed/plant material trade/swap/purchase opportunities.

Lucky