nafex - [NAFEX] Cherries

  • From: mauch1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Cherries
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 14:02:03 -0500

Doreen,

I don't know if you're looking for more opinions on cherries, but here's my experience:

I originally concentrated on sweet cherries as 1) I love them 2) they're incredibly
expensive in the store 3) I prefer fruit that is able to be eaten out of hand

My experience has been miserable.  Defoliation by deer and Japanese beetles (and
they both seem to prefer these trees over any of my others), has kept my trees stunted
(I've attempted to keep them protected from the deer with cages (large concrete wire mesh
tomato cages) which helped somewhat.  Since I usually stop spraying about the begining of
July, nothing has much stopped the beetles.  This year the largest of the 3 trees died from the
top down, I think disease.

I've had much better success with Nanking cherries and am considering planting some of the
more 'sweet' tart cherries.  I would consider Dukes, but they seem to have disappeared.
Any opinions on the different varieties of tarts would be welcome.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6
40° 5' N 75° 51'W
~650 ft elevation