nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Cherries

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cherries
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 10:45:32 -0700

Of course it depends on your zone and variety, but I have found them much,
much easier than apples, and easier than peaches. All three need some
(organic) spraying, but the cherries I've grown needed less. The biggest
problem is birds. My best solution was to plant a bright red
very-small-fruited cherry (we call those seed cherries, that may be a
regionalism) for the birds and a red-blushed yellow variety for the humans.
The birds far preferred the red cherries, and the trap tree produced
prolifically (both did).

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.
USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,
Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate