nafex - [NAFEX] cherries

  • From: <6ducks@fuse.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] cherries
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 13:44:47 -0400

Whether cherries are easier than apples is also highly weather dependent.
Here in southern Ohio I cannot grow cherries because I get consistently late
frosts; apples, on the other hand, do quite well. Someone can correct me on
this one, but cherries might also require more chill hours, whereas
different apple cultivars can be found to use in either low or high chill
areas.

Cherries (trees, not just the fruit) are also subject to some fungal diseases
here that would make them riskier than apples.

Further, apples are available on such a wide variety of rootstocks that soil
types and tree size can be adapted to quite well, perhaps to a larger degree
than to cherries.