nafex - [NAFEX] Apple disaster

  • From: "Pete Tallman" <pete_tallman@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Apple disaster
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 12:15:18 -0600

From the way Riichard described it (decay), the condition of the rootstock
doesn't sound liike it's going to accept any repair of the graft union. I think it's way too late for bud grafting. I would take suitable scionwood now, strip off any leaves and refrigerate as you would dormant scionwood (preferably in a refrigerator not also used for fruit storage). Then plan to buy or find another place to graft onto in the spring.

As for the rootstock, if it's still more or less healthy, it should put up new shoots next spring which can be budded in the summer or grafted the spring after. The thing that would concern me would be infection of the roostock (e.g. fireblight), wihch could be a cause of the graft failing.

Pete Tallman
Longmont, CO (Zone 5, well into a delightful Indian summer here)