nafex - [NAFEX] Apple disaster

  • From: rmelrose@silicondairy.net
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Apple disaster
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 12:26:25 -0400 (EDT)

Here is the scene. After 4 days of rain there was strong wind which broke
my `Hidden Rose' off at the graft -- it was on M26, had been staked (not
well enough I suppose) but had rather severe vole damage from 2 years
ago. Anyway, it is completely separated from the rootstock and there is
some sign of decay around the graft. It is/was not dormant, still in leaf
but probably only a couple of weeks away from loosing them. Leaves are dull
green.

So, what to do? I could just dump it but it did give me 6 fine apples this
year and I rather like them (I have seen them described in less than
glowing terms but I can remember the flavor, which is a good sign and it is
certainly amusing..) and anyway that is not my usual style, must be my
Scottish heritage. I could try

1. Bud grafting -- but it is too late for the bark to slip.
2. Bud splicing -- (or whatever you want to call it) never tried it, will
it work this late?
3. Bury the lower part and hope something is still viable in Spring to graft.
4. Take some cuttings and try to strike them over winter (this has never
worked for me with apple, but I have not tried very hard).
5. Take some cuttings as early scions and refrigerate them until spring.
6. Try bark grafting onto another apple?
7. Bury part and try to graft in Spring?

Are there other suggestions? Of course I could and likely will try a
combination of these, but what do people see as real possibilities (if any)?

Richard
PS. This is 3b/4a in Vermont. Usually we would already have had a hard
frost but this year winter is very late, well over a month. Still, it
cannot be long.