nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Blueberry planting alternatives

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Blueberry planting alternatives
  • Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 15:19:51 -0500

I found your post below interesting, especially the part about growing inoculum on the roots of leeks in clay chips.  Have you ever tested various brands of commercial mycorrhizae inoculum?  If so, were some better than others?  Also, is there something published about how to grow inoculum on leek roots?  I seen references to it in several places, but never found a documented study.
Doreen Howard

Lee Reich wrote:
Also, while "regular supplies of organic matter" might create nice conditions for mycorrhiza (such as moister soil), contrary to what you wrote, mycorrhizae do not feed on dead organic matter -- your leaves, for instance. It's totally possible for this association to thrive in soils lacking any organic matter. When I was researching mycorrhizae as part of my studies with Cornell, I grew innoculum on the roots of leeks planted in pure montmorillonite clay chips.