nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Blueberry planting alternatives

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Blueberry planting alternatives
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 17:01:32 -0700

Vaccinium arboreum, aka "Farkleberry" (and others) is the one that was used.
I should add that I have highbush blueberries that have never had any acidifying amendments and I KNOW the soil PH is at least 6 or so here. I personally feel that the big reason for that is that the plants are well colonized by mycorrhizal fungi specific for blueberries. There are a number of species that have been studied that can acidify soils quite effectively, but a good regular supply of organic matter seems to be needed. I think that's why the use of leaves is so beneficial - they feed the fungi and it keeps the soil at the right pH in the immediate area.
-Lon Rombough