nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple Storage?

  • From: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple Storage?
  • Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 17:48:05 -0500

Hi Tom,
There is current usage and ongoing research on pallet-sized CA storage. What
I mean
by this is very similar to what you want to try. A bin (15 bushels?) of
apples is
sealed in some sort of bag and some sort of small CA system is either
employed, or
the atmosphere is injected/sealed in at the beginning. My state research
station
was working with this just a few years ago (2). Maybe calling yours might
help, or
calling mine at Highmoor Farm, Monmouth Maine 207-933-2100. If that is the
wrong #,
sorry, and try a call to the operator. University of New Hampshire or Cornell
would
probably have lowdown as well.
I think something similar would work,
Heron Breen
zone 4, Maine

On Sun Sep 11 12:18 , 'Thomas Olenio' <tolenio@sentex.net> sent:

>Hello All,
>
>I understand that commerical apple storage uses a carbon dioxide
>environment.
>
>Could a family cold room, or root cellar do this as well?
>
>Put the bushel of apples in a lawn/leaf plastic bag, set off a
>carbondioxide bomb in the bag (baking soda/ vinegar in 2 liter bottle),
>hold the plastic bag up to hold the CO2, remove CO2 bomb, then close
>plastic bag tightly.
>
>Not sure if the CO2 will stay pooled in the plastic bag, or if it would
>help storage.
>
>Anyone know?
>
>Thanks,
>Tom