nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple Storage?

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: breen@fedcoseeds.com, "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple Storage?
  • Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 19:01:49 -0400

Hi,

Thanks.

I thought it would work for small volumes of apples. Just need to trap the CO2 atmosphere, and leave it alone.

Thanks again.

Later,
Tom

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 17:48:05 -0500, Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com> wrote:

Hi Tom,
There is current usage and ongoing research on pallet-sized CA storage. What I mean
by this is very similar to what you want to try. A bin (15 bushels?) of apples is
sealed in some sort of bag and some sort of small CA system is either employed, or
the atmosphere is injected/sealed in at the beginning. My state research station
was working with this just a few years ago (2). Maybe calling yours might help, or
calling mine at Highmoor Farm, Monmouth Maine 207-933-2100. If that is the wrong #,
sorry, and try a call to the operator. University of New Hampshire or Cornell would
probably have lowdown as well.
I think something similar would work,
Heron Breen
zone 4, Maine

On Sun Sep 11 12:18 , 'Thomas Olenio' <tolenio@sentex.net> sent:

Hello All,

I understand that commerical apple storage uses a carbon dioxide
environment.

Could a family cold room, or root cellar do this as well?

Put the bushel of apples in a lawn/leaf plastic bag, set off a
carbondioxide bomb in the bag (baking soda/ vinegar in 2 liter bottle),
hold the plastic bag up to hold the CO2, remove CO2 bomb, then close
plastic bag tightly.

Not sure if the CO2 will stay pooled in the plastic bag, or if it would
help storage.

Anyone know?

Thanks,
Tom