nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grapevine

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grapevine
  • Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 15:15:01 -0700

One of Concord's peculiarities is that in hotter climates it ripens unevenly, just as you describe. It was for that reason that the U. of Ark. bred Sunbelt, which is a Concord type that ripens evenly, for the juice industry there. They simply grew out a quantity of open pollinated seedlings from Concord and the one that became Sunbelt had the right traits.
-Lon Rombough