nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Centennial

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@mwt.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Centennial
  • Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 08:01:42 -0500

Tanis,

My Centennial was purchased from Southmeadow 12-15 years ago. I'm quite
sure that it is, as claimed, on M7 because of the suckers thrown. The tree
was moved once about eight years ago and is about 10 feet tall max--about
the size of a typical apple cultivar on M9 and smaller than my similarly
aged Vista Bella tree on M26. Centennial is supposed to be a natural
semi-dwarf--my experience is consistent with that claim. However I found a
"standard" tree of Centennial (it is unmistakable) at a farm a few miles
from me (no doubt mail ordered from Jung's 50 years ago) that is thirty feet
tall or more and wide spreading. A tree at the U of Wisc. Arboretum is as
large as any other in their crabapple collection, so I wouldn't count on the
tree remaining small on a standard rootstock. My tree is sort of weeping
and is very easy to prune. I suspect that a tree on standard stock would be
easy to manage and give more fruit----fast.

Steve H. Lone Rock, WI