nafex - [NAFEX] Dolgo crab

  • From: "kieran or donna" <redherring@tnaccess.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Dolgo crab
  • Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 19:54:20 -0500

....the baccata parentage of Dolgo

Dolgo is wonderful! It never has a speck of disease, keeps it's leaves all
summer when other crabapples go bald here. The fruit are attractive, look
like plums actually, and they fall when they are just right, though I have
been known to actually pick some off the tree. The flavor is really sweet
and really sour, kids love them, though you can't eat very many. Most years
I remembered to get over to the college to pick them up. I washed, cooked,
and sieved them for wonderful dark reddish apple butter. Unfortunately the
college knocked down the building next to the two trees and I didn't realize
the trees were going too. Never did get a graft off it, kept meaning to.
Unless Centennial has some advantages over Dolgo, I'd go with Dolgo. Is
it disease resistant? Oh, stupid question coming from me, all I have to do
is consult Father Fiala's book... " disease resistant over 20 years of
testing, with only an occasional mild scab". Sounds like it may be a bit
bigger than Dolgo. Says Dolgo is subject to slight acab and fireblight.
Donna