nafex - Re: [NAFEX] alder wood rot resistant?

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] alder wood rot resistant?
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:30:57 -0500

At 09:17 AM 8/31/2005, you wrote:
I had always heard that black locust and chestnut woods were those resistant to water if driven into the ground. This webpage claims alder wood possesses the same rot resistance? Has anyone heard this before? Is it true?

Charlie,
I wonder if growing conditions might have some affect on rot-resistance with some species.
My own limited personal experience with tag alder does not substantiate those claims of rot-resistance. Plenty of black alder growing on the banks of small creeks on the farm in AL where I grew up. We'd cut sturdy stems to use as prod poles when we'd be working/sorting cattle in the spring & fall, but by the next spring, those 1.5-2" poles, left standing against the fence by the headcatch, would be so punky & rotten that we'd have to go cut some new ones.
Maybe some of the other Alnus species get larger, but I'd have a hard time imagining A.serrulata ever achieving sufficient size to yield lumber.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7
Hopkinsville, KY