nafex - Re: [NAFEX] alder wood rot resistant?

  • From: Charles Paradise <machelp@attglobal.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] alder wood rot resistant?
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:53:02 -0500

I didn't put this part of the webpage before, reading further, it appears the claim is alder is resistant in contact with water, but not on dry land.  Aren't there many woods that rot slowly fully submerged in water?  That wouldn't be unusual, would it?

As we have mentioned before, Alder poles were a favourite timber for underground foundations in damp or wet conditions.  It was used as piles under houses, bridges, boat jetties, canal lock gates, pumps and troughs. The ancient Roman writer, Virgil, claims that the first boats were made of Alder wood. The timber can resist decay in a wet environment almost indefinitely. Venice floats partly on the strength of Alder trees. However, it is not very good for fencing in dry land, since the wood seems to need the water to balance its fire power in order to remain solid. Alder fencing posts can rot within the year at the part between the earth and the air.

Charlie Paradise, Massachusetts
where Northern Spy apples are ripe October 20, not October 19 or October 21