nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Stone fruit seeds

  • From: John Smith <friendly27sw@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Stone fruit seeds
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 20:38:04 -0700 (PDT)

Jim,

Here's my procedure that's worked well for zones 4 and
5 midwestern conditions. Remove pits from peaches,
place on paper towel to dry. Store at room
temperature in a bag. Plant in a well marked row a
couple inches deep in the fall in the garden. I've
gotten about 90% germination the following spring by
doing this. Mine grow well enough I've been able to
bud them the same year in late summer, or the
following summer. I've had terrible luck trying to
graft them in the spring, despite near 100% sucess on
apples and pears.